Veterans Perpetual League

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

Website disclaimer

It is currently Wed Jan 17 2018, 02:54

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wood Elves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31 2010, 21:06 
Gobbo Jnr has decided he likes the look of Wood Elves, and has liberated said force from the loft.

Having tried out a couple of lists with Wardancers & Dryads, we've come to the conclusion that either skirmishers don't quite cut the mustard anymore or we haven't figured out how to use them right.

Wildriders also seem to a bit ropey, they can do some damage on the charge but then get wiped out when the enemy hits back (I never did understand why they receive 1 Attack when charging and 2 the rest of the time, surely it should be the other way around).

When it comes to Magic the Lore of Athel Loren is to be frank, Woeful! Most of the spells only really work against specific opponents, only Fury of the Forest and Ariels Blessing seem to be useful against allcomers. This effectively means that a Spellweaver is a must as a Lord choice if you want any effective magic as they can take Beasts or Life.

Treekin look really good for the points now, the downside however is that I haven't got any and a unit of 6 is a bit outside of Gobbo Jnrs price range (come to think of it, with GW's current ludicrous prices they are a bit out of Gobbo Snrs too! :cry:)

Larger Glade Guard units are pretty effective now, and are now the backbone of the Army. In order to satisfy the 25% rule for Core troops 3 units of 18 with full command takes care of that requirement for a 2400pt force.

The question is how to make the rest of the army up?

We've started with a Level 4 Spellweaver which is 250pts (includes Longbow) and spent 100pts on Magic items, the Divination Orb at 25pts looks a good choice as it gives a free dispel dice if an opposing caster uses 3 or more power dice to cast a spell. The Rhymers Harp is interesting as it gives a 5+ Ward to the Bearer, mount and any unit joined. Total cost 100pts.

When looking at other Characters we realised we could just about afford a Highborn at 145pts plus 100pts of Magic Items/Spites.

30 Eternal Guard with Full Command and a War Banner seemed like a good block to guard these 2 characters with. WS5 and 2 Attacks from the front rank, plus the Spears in subsequent ranks is a lot of attacks (granted they are only S3 but you can't have everything). With the Spellweaver with the Ryhmers Harp they all get a 5+ Ward save (not to be sniffed at for Wood Elves). Throw in the Highborn and the unit counts as Core and counts as Stubborn (againuseful) The unit comes in at a hefty 410pts though.

A Treeman at 285pts, coz big is best right? (if you say so son).

7 Wildriders with Full command, plus a Noble with Wildrider Kindred, Helm of the Hunt and Twilight Spear takes the total points spent to 2400. Yes I know I said the Wildriders were very fragile, but Jnr likes them what can I say?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome, apparently the young master would like a few tips so he can whupp old Gobbo's butt! (cheers son)

Post subject: Re: Wood Elves
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 2010, 07:42 
Captain

Quote:
Treekin look really good for the points now, the downside however is that I haven't got any and a unit of 6 is a bit outside of Gobbo Jnrs price range (come to think of it, with GW's current ludicrous prices they are a bit out of Gobbo Snrs too! )

Theres loads of pictures of treekin in google images, theres plently of the converted variety. You could use parts from the citidel wood and or add multiple dryads together or single.

Remember that theres loads of common magic items in the rulebook, some of these so way better then those found in the army books. I would rather have the BSB over the highborne for the eternal guard, sure there not core but you already got minimum core right? I'd give him somthing like the Heavy armour with 4+ ward but if you have the weaver in there with the harp (an awesome choice for eternal guard) you could take somthing else like the 2+ save armour. If your sitting there with Lore of Life you can be throwing regen, +2/4 toughness or healing them back to life so the unit can be very resiliant.

A good trick with these guys is that units lose steadfast if the majority of the unit is in difficult ground. since you have forest strider you can sit there with no problem and mess your opponents up if they charge you. They also need dangerous terrain tests for models charging through difficult ground. Sneaky but effective.

www.paintedwargames.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 2010, 11:57 
Primarch

Strider does not help you to maintain your ranks. It only allows you to ignore dangerous terrain tests.

Bloodbowl Teams : viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2178&p=10467#p10467
Hobby blog: http://baddice.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2174

Writing Blog: http://mincoire.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 2010, 13:01 
ChrisT wrote:
Strider does not help you to maintain your ranks. It only allows you to ignore dangerous terrain tests.

That's how I read the Strider rule too. I had hoped that the Army Book would say something along the lines of treating Woods as Open Terrain, but alas it doesn't (neither does the FAQ). However the Hidden Path Spell says treats all Terrain as Open Ground so would this be OK?, a bit dodgy relying on this I think (and Athel Loren is a bit pants anyway). Now standing just the other side of said Wood could be sneaky :D especially if flank is protected by a free wood too! Treeman could even use treesing to keep Wood between Eternal Guard and Attacker.

Rob: BSB vs Highborn was a close run thing, re-roll all Ld tests vs Ld10 with a little extra killing power, we can always try the Army out both ways to see how they pan out. I like the idea re Treekin, I've got loads of Model Trees on the right sized bases and the old metal Dryads it wouldn't take a lot to convert them. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 2010, 14:00 
Captain

ChrisT wrote:

I thought stider meant you ignore all terrain negatives? I will have to read it up later, but Eternal Guard are stubborn when joined by a noble/highborne anyways. I was using this trick at the weekend with my ogres, run them 2*2 in terrain and smash people if they charge me or charge them if they don't. :mrgreen:

www.paintedwargames.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 2010, 21:22 
Thanks to a little inspiration from Rob, Gobbo Jnr has now got himself 6 Treekin using the old metal Dryads, some old Trees, some glue and a bit of imagination.

He's written his first list as 2400pts follows:

Lord Highborn with Great Weapon, Armour of Fortune, Bow of Loren & Arcane Bodkins = 246pts

Hero Noble with Waywatcher Kindred , Light Armour, Additional Hand Weapon, Longbow & Hail of Doom Arrow = 146pts
He was a bit gutted when I told hi he couldn't have lethal shot when using the Hail of Doom Arrow :roll:

Hero Noble BSB with Armour of Silvered Steel = 135pts

Hero Spellsinger with Longbow, Level 2 upgrade & Divination Orb = 140pts

Core 27 Eternal Guard with Full Command Group = 354pts

Core 20 Glade Guard with Glade Guard Longbows & Full Command Group = 268pts

Core 20 Glade Guard with Glade Guard Longbows & Full Command Group = 268pts

Special 6 Treekin = 390pts

Rare Treeman = 285pts

Rare 7 Waywatchers, Additional Hand Weapons & Longbows = 168pts

I think it's pretty Wood Elvy with a good mix of solid shooting supported by some good Hand to Hand units.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]